Q-municate is an open source code of chat application with a wide range of communication features included (such as one-to-one messaging, group chat messaging, file transfer, push notifications, audio/video calls). We are happy to offer you a chat application out of the box. You can customize this application to on your needs (with attribution as stated in the license). QuickBlox is used for the backend https://quickblox.com
iOS - App Store
Android - Google Play
Web - Live app
WP - Microsoft Store
How to build your own Chat app
You can build your own chat app using Q-municate as a basis in just 5 minutes! All you need is to:
1. Register a QuickBlox account
If you don't have one yet, just register your account at https://admin.quickblox.com/register
You can read more about how to create an account here.
2. Login to QuickBlox admin panel
3. Create a new app.
If you don't have an app yet, you can follow a detailed guide about app creation at here.
4. Get app credentials
Click on the app title in the list to reveal the app details. You are going to need App ID, Authorization key and Authorization secret later in our Q-municate source code.
5. Launch the Q-municate app
Just follow our platform-based guide below.
1. Get the source code.
You can find our source code on github: QuickBlox/q-municate-ios
You can also address all Q-municate based issues there.
2. Open project file.
We are using Cocoapods in our Xcode project. So, in order to work with it you need to open Q-municate.xcworkspace file:
3. Change app credentials.
Our app credentials are located in AppDelegate class implementation. Open AppDelegate.m:
On line 20 you will see these constants:
Replace all of their values with app credentials from your admin panel.
4. Configure your own facebook app.
In order to enable facebook login in your Q-municate you need to configure facebook app. You can follow our guide here.
5. Configure push notifications.
To enable and receive push notification you need to create APNS certificates and upload them to your admin panel. Follow our guide here.
6. Compile and enjoy.
And now you are ready to go and can enjoy chatting in your own chat app.
In order to run Q-municate Android with your own QuickBlox endpoints you need to follow the next steps:
1. Get the source code.
2. Open project file.
There are two ways to open the project:
2.1. Unzip downloaded archive into any folder and open this project in Android Studio as a new project;
2.2. Clone Q-municate repository by using Android Studio tools.
3. Configure your Android Studio project
Review file gradle.properties by path q-municate-android/Q-municate_app/, this file must contain the following:
Section 1 - Credentials of your application from the QuickBlox admin panel:
devAccountKey=\"xxxxxxxxxxxx\" (Admin panel -> Account -> Settings -> Account key)
Section 2 - Facebook App ID of your application (how to create Facebook App see here):
Section 3 - Push registration ID (Project number) for your application (see How to create Google App and How to generate API key and configure push notifications in QuickBlox admin panel):
Section 4 - Twitter Digits credentials:
devTwittedDigitsApiKey=\"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\" - Fabric Api Key
devTwitterDigitsConsumerKey=\"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\" - CONSUMER KEY (API KEY) of your app from Fabric Dashboard
devTwitterDigitsConsumerSecret=\"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\" - CONSUMER SECRET (API SECRET) of your app from Fabric Dashboard
Section 5 - Signing configs for your .apk file (not used for build variant "debug").
4. Build and run your own chat
Step 1 - Select build type of your application;
Step 2 - Run your application;
Step 3 - Congratulations! Now you have your own chat application for android!
Get the source code
Source code - https://github.com/QuickBlox/q-municate-web
If you want to build your own app using Q-municate as a base, please do the following:
- Install nodeJS and Ruby before start.
- Download the project from GitHub.
- Run npm install -g bower in your terminal as an administrator.
- Run npm install -g grunt-cli in your terminal as an administrator.
- Run bower install to install all additional packages in your terminal.
- Run npm install to install all additional packages in your terminal as an administrator.
- Copy the credentials (App ID, Authorization key, Authorization secret) and your Facebook App ID (How to generate and save Facebook application ID) into your Q-municate project code in config.js.
Build and run
- Run grunt build or grunt (build with jshint verification) in your terminal to build Q-municate (q-municate-web/dist).
- Run grunt serve in your terminal to open Q-municate in a browser window (https://localhost:9000).
Q-municate Windows Phone
1. Download the project from https://github.com/QuickBlox/q-municate-dotnet
2. Copy credentials from you admin panel into your Q-municate project code. Open ApplicationKeys.cs file in the root of the project and change App ID, Authorization key, Authorization secret to match the values from a previous step.